The French demonstrator Nice Smart Valley is located in and around the city of Nice, a metropolis that is already heavily involved in the “smart city” innovation. Nice is ranked 4th “Smart City” on a global scale by the international firm Juniper Research.
Enedis will investigate flexibilities to support the grid, storage systems and islanding operations.
Enedis, as distribution system operator, is coordinating Nice Smart Valley
- Strategic and technical coordination of the use cases
- Development, implementation, hosting, and operation of a local flexibility mechanism
- Operation of storage assets
- Implementation of smart devices on the distribution grid
- Grid simulations
- Islanding of a part of the distribution grid
- Coordination of the partners and the project
- Management of the communication and dissemination package of the
3 MAIN USE CASES
Automatic islanding without any interruption of service
- Disconnecting automatically for a limited duration of time a district from the main grid and operating it only with local generation means (storage renewable generation)
- Support of local flexibility levers, such as PV injection reduction or the consumption of customers
Multiservice approach for centralized storage systems
- Optimizing the use of storage systems, able to supply ancillary services, increase self consumption and contribute to reduce local grid constraints on the distribution grid.
- Collective self-consumption with a community energy storage asset, the “cloud storage” approach will be tested at district level
- Regulatory recommendations for storage
Local flexibility mechanism operated by and for the DSO
- Setting a local flexibility mechanisms, with flexibilities operated by ENGIE and EDF
- Purely electrical flexibilities (EV, hot water tank, storage…)
- Gas / electricity flexibilities (Hybrid boilers, combined heat and power)
- In order to reduce local grid constraints and set up a local flexibility market