Gaz Réseau Distribution France (GRDF) is the main gas distribution operator in France. GRDF performs its daily public service missions by managing the downstream gas network, connecting and delivering gas to around 11 million customers (end-users) in France, on behalf of 46 suppliers in a completely impartial manner. GRDF designs, builds, operates and maintains the 198 886 km of the natural gas distribution network in more than 9 54O cities while guaranteeing safety of people and property, as well as quality of delivery.
Moreover, GRDF has contracted with the French State to promote the use of natural gas and a profitable expansion of the distribution network and gas energy in France serving a balanced energy mix (“Contrat de Service Public 2016-2018”).
INVOLVEMENT IN SMART GRID
GRDF is involved in smart grid projects on four key topics:
- ICT integration into its network and business
- Integration of decentralized green gas production
- Synergies with other networks
- Energy Management
For each of them, GRDF has initiated internal projects aiming at developing and modernizing its network, its businesses and its services. GRDF also participates in demonstrators to assess relevancy of smart grids innovation on technical, environmental, social and economical parameters.
MAIN TASK ATTRIBUTED IN THE PROJECT
As an industrial partner of Nice Smart Valley, GRDF is responsible for:
- Promotion of innovative gas devices within buildings to supply electric flexibility to the grid
- Facilitation of demonstration sites recruitment and devices installation
- Development of a connection between gas devices and aggregators